This section applies to you if:
- You are a student or new graduate of the BN Collaborative program in Newfoundland and Labrador
- You are a student or new graduate of a Canadian nursing education program.
Information in this section pertains to:
Provisional registration is governed by the RN Regulations (2013) and means you have submitted an application for provisional registration through MyCRNNL and met all the requirements for registration with the exception of successful completion of the registered nurse examination or receipt of a satisfactory professional reference.
Provisional registration may be granted for up to two years. You will be notified by email when provisional registration has been granted.
Provisional registration alone does not permit you to practice nursing. You must hold an interim license or practicing license to practice nursing in NL.
2. Complete and submit the provisional registration application to CRNNL by the application deadline:
- Ensure you have the following documents available to upload:
A. copy of your birth certificate
B. copy of your legal change of name; if applicable (e.g., marriage certificate)
C. copy of a government issued identification that includes your photograph and signature.
CRNNL application processing fee ($189.75 includes HST) must be submitted with application.
3. Graduates of a nursing education program outside of Newfoundland and Labrador are required to submit the following additional documents:
- An official transcript from the university where you completed your nursing education. This must be sent directly to CRNNL from the university.
- A professional reference letter from a nursing faculty member or clinical preceptor. This must be sent directly to CRNNL from the referee.
4. Confirmation of successful education program completion for Newfoundland and Labrador graduates is provided to CRNNL directly from Memorial University’s Office of the Registrar.
5. Submit a Certificate of Conduct to CRNNL by the deadline date.
6. CRNNL will notify you by email that your application for provisional registration has been approved.
7. You will receive notification of NCLEX-RN® examination eligibility from CRNNL.
8. Register and pay for the NCLEX-RN® examination with Pearson VUE.
10. Successfully pass NCLEX-RN®.
11. Apply for initial licensure or membership through MyCRNNL.
Interim licenses may be issued to NL graduates and Canadian graduates who have been granted provisional registration. To obtain an interim license to practice nursing in Newfoundland and Labrador, you must submit the following:
1. Application for Interim License with fee to CRNNL.
2. Proof of legal name change (if changed since your provisional registration application was submitted).
In addition, the following documents must be on file with CRNNL:
1. Your Certificate of Conduct
2. Confirmation from your University of successful completion of a nursing program
Once the interim license has been issued you will receive an electronic receipt and your name will display on CRNNL's Member Search. An interim license is required before commencing employment, which includes orientation.