On April 30, 2020, the Chief Medical Officer of Health announced Newfoundland and Labrador’s plan for living with COVID-19, ‘A Foundation for Living with COVID-19’. As we adjust to changes in public health restrictions that coincide with the plan, CRNNL will be temporarily pausing intake and processing of Emergency Licence applications, except for those applicants who having pending employment related to COVID-19. If you require an emergency license for the purpose of assisting in the response to COVID-19 and have secured employment, please complete the emergency license application and email firstname.lastname@example.org as validation of pending employment will need to be confirmed prior to issuing of an emergency license.
Please keep apprised of Government and Public Health announcements, as the need for Registered Nurses to address surge capacity may change at any given time and the intake and processing of Emergency Licenses may be fully reopened, if the need arises.
An emergency registration and licence may be issued to qualified individuals where there is an immediate need for registered nursing services, including nurse practitioners, due to an actual or potential threat to public safety, health or welfare (e.g., public health emergency).
Please note: An emergency registration and licence is only for the purpose of assisting in response to COVID-19. This licence is not for applicants who intend to obtain ongoing employment in NL (e.g., full-time, part-time or casual). To obtain/renew a licence for ongoing employment in the province, please see Registration & Renewal.
An emergency registration and license duration is 3 months and may be extended.
Who Can Apply
Subject to the emergency licensure requirements, an emergency registration and licence may be issued to:
- Former CRNNL licence holders (non-practicing members, retired, resigned or lapsed);
- Canadian licenced RNs and NPs; and
- Recent Graduates not yet registered in another jurisdiction, who have not failed a writing of the RN registration examination, and who are not applying for full registration with CRNNL (e.g., New graduates of NL baccalaureate programs).
How to Apply
There are three steps to apply for emergency registration and licensure for COVID-19.
- Review the Emergency Registration and Licensure in Response to COVID-19 information and requirements;
- Complete the Continuing Competence Requirements for Emergency License - COVID-19; and
- Complete the Emergency Registration and Licensure Application and submit the required documenation (i.e., photo ID and proof of hours, if applicable) to email@example.com.