The Hillyard family established a scholarship in memory of their sister Flo, a student nurse, who tragically died of spinal meningitis before graduation. In accordance with the family's wishes, the scholarship will be awarded to a student enrolled in year 2 of the BN (Collaborative) Program at a NL School of Nursing who exemplifies Flo Hillyard's attributes: bright, client focused, caring and committed to nursing.
Application Deadline: October 15th
Who Can Apply
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered for this scholarship:
- be enrolled as a full-time student in a NL School of Nursing in the 2nd year of the BN (Collaborative) program,
- have a minimum average of 70% in the first year of the BN program,
- demonstrate respect, sensitivity, and a caring approach in his/her relationships with clients, and
- be committed to a career in nursing.
How to Apply
Students who meet the all of the eligibility criteria can apply for this scholarship.
Please review the Application Requirements document before you begin the online application.
Applications will be sent directly to your school of nursing. Please complete the application form for your school:
The School will ensure that the following documentation to support the recommended candidate is submitted to the Awards Committee:
- an official transcript of grades for the relevant year of program study,
- a reference from a recent clinical instructor, and
- an application completed by the candidate.
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Each school will recommend one candidate for the scholarship. The Trust Awards Committee will select the scholarship recipient. The Awards Committee will rank the applicants on the basis of the following criteria (in order):
- academic ability,
- potential contribution to the nursing profession, and
- financial need (as determined by whether the applicant has received funding from other sources; personal financial information is not used)
Note: The scholarship must be used in the academic year in which it is granted.
Please see the Tips & FAQs page for answers to frequently asked questions and advice on completing your application. If the information you require is not listed there, please use the Online Contact Form to send us your question.